This is Chicago's Fat rice meets the Arroz Valenciana of my childhood. Don't have all the ingredients listed here or perhaps you don't like seafood? That's ok! Feel free to sub in whatever sausages, seafood, and meats that you enjoy eating.
- .5 lb longganisa
- .5 lb chicken thighs, diced
- .25 lb chorizo de bilbao
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 5 cloves of garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- .5 tbsp turmeric
- Pinch Saffron
- 1 cup sticky rice optional
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 cups water
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 medium-hard boiled eggs, sliced (boil for 9-10 min)
- Optional: shrimp
- Heat a large pan, at least 12 inches in diameter,on medium high heat. Heat 1 tbsp of vegetable oil.
- Add 2 tbsp of coconut oil and sautee the onions until softened. Add the garlic and sautee until golden brown. Stir in the spices to bloom them in the oil for 1 minute.
- Pour 2 cups of water and 1 cup coconut milk evenly over the top of the rice.
- Cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove the lid and add bell peppers. Cover again and steam for an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve with sliced egg on top. The rice at the bottom of the pan is the best – crispy!
A few ideas for mix-ins:
- Cayenne pepper
- Raisins (boil them in sherry vinegar for 8 minutes or until all vinegar evaporates)
- Fermented black beans