I had the honor of baking Christmas Cookies for the Filipino Food Movement’s Kulinarya Live. “The Filipino Food Movement is [a non-profit] dedicated to preserving, promoting, and progressing Filipino cuisine in North America & around the world.” Their Kulinarya Live! series features Filipino chefs and foodies from around the world.
I was super nervous to do a full hour of cooking, but the crew at Filipino Food Movement made me feel right at home. The recipes featured ube powder, muscovado sugar, and Oodaalolly chocolates that can be found in their Patikim Boxes.
Ube White Chocolate Chip Macadamia
- 160 g Bread flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp corn starch
- 113 g butter softened
- 100 g white sugar
- 50 g brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup ube halaya
- 2 tbsp ube extract
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup salted macadamias
- Whisk together dry Ingredients in a bowl
- In a separate bowl, using a mixer with a paddle attachment on medium high, cream the butter until it is light and fluffy. Add sugars and mix for 30 seconds.
- Add the egg and mix for 30 seconds.
- Add the ube halaya and extract to the mixture and beat on medium high for at least 2 min.
- With the mixer running on low, slowly Incorporate the dry ingredients until the flour Is worked In.
- Add white chocolate chips and macadamia nuts until just combined.
- Set the oven racks into the top third and bottom third of the oven. Preheat the oven to 350* F. Cover and place the dough In the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Scoop the dough Into balls, approximately 2 tablespoons per cookie.
- Bake for a total of 13 minutes. After 7 minutes rotate the pans for even baking.
- Cool for 5 minutes on the pan then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Inspired by Teachers’ Bakes, Alton Brown, and Mrs. Fields
Curly Top Peanut Butter Blossoms
- 228 g AP flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 113 g butter
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 100 g granulated sugar
- 100 g light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 dozen Curly Tops
- Muscavado sugar
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Using a mixer on medium speed, cream together butter, peanut butter, and sugars until light and fluffy. Add egg, milk, and vanilla. Mix until well combined.
- Reduce mixer speed to low. Gradually add flour mixture, mixing until Incorporated.
- Chill the dough for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375*F.
- Roll or scoop dough out with a 1 inch scoop
- Unwrap the Curly Top chocolates and set them aside.
- Roll the cookies In muscavado sugar and place 2 Inches apart on the baking pan.
- Bake for 6 to 8 minutes, until light brown.
- Remove the sheet from the oven and press In the Curly Tops In the center. Return to the oven and bake for 3 more minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool completely on the pan.
This recipe is adapted from the Gerraro Family on NYT Cooking. The minor changes are to the baking time, sugar, and chocolate toppings.
One thought on “Baking cookies with Kulinarya Live!”
Congratulations, dear Tina! You are a natural on screen, and I look forward to seeing more of your contributions on Kulinarya Live. The chocolate toppings sound wonderful!